178 Copyright Goodheart-Willcox Co., Inc.
After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
• Briefl y describe the development of power tools.
• Explain the different methods of classifying power tools.
• Identify and follow safety instructions and safe procedures when using power tools.
• Explain how power tools are designed to perform different tasks.
• Select and use appropriate power tools for drilling, driving, cutting, shaping, and removing material.
• Summarize the factors to consider when purchasing power tools.
• Properly maintain and store power tools commonly used in agriculture.
Words to Know
charge memory effect
cordless power tool
fl oor jack
ground fault circuit
hollow ground blades
portable power drills
portable power tools
radial arm saw
stationary power tools
Before You Read
Before reading this chapter, fl ip through the pages and make notes of the major headings. Analyze the
structure of the relationships of the headings with the concepts in the chapters.