776 Copyright Goodheart-Willcox Co., Inc.
After studying this chapter, you will be able to:
• Explain the shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) process.
• Properly use SMAW equipment.
• Describe various joint types.
• Describe AWS welding position classifications.fi
• Explain how to prepare the surfaces of pieces to be welded.
• Control welding variables to produce a good weld.
• Identify weld discontinuities.
• Take appropriate safety precautions when SMAW welding.
• Weld a practice pad using SMAW.
• Explain how to control distortion in a weld.
• Recall the special requirements for welding cast iron.
• Explain the certifi process for professional welders. fication
Words to Know
destructive weld testing
fast-fill electrode fi
fillet weld fi
fill-freeze electrode fi
shielded metal arc
specification (WPS) fi
Before You Read
Arrange a study session to read the chapter with a classmate. After you read eac ntly ch section independ en n tl y,
stop and tell each other what you think the main points are in the section. Continue i with each section n
until you finish the chapter. fi