Copyright Goodheart-Willcox Co., Inc.
After studying this chapter, you will be able to
• list objectives for maintaining a safe environment for children.
• describe guidelines for promoting children’s safety.
• name ways to promote and practice fi re safety in an early childhood
• outline the procedures for treating poisonings.
• recognize the signs of child neglect and abuse.
• teach children how to resist child abuse.
• explain types of liability as a child care provider.
nonaccidental physical injury
Before reading a new
section, study any
charts and tables.
This will increase your
understanding of the
Create a cluster
diagram for safety.
Place Safety in the
middle circle. Make
sublevel circles for the
different types of safety
listed in the chapter. Add
third-level ideas to each
of these sublevel circles.