Copyright Goodheart-Willcox Co., Inc.
Types of Early
After studying this chapter, you will be able to
• list and describe the various types of early childhood programs
available to parents and their children.
• assess the advantages and disadvantages of each type of program.
• differentiate between the types of center sponsorship.
• explain steps families may take in choosing quality child care.
• list indications of quality in early childhood programs.
• recognize licensing rules and regulations that help keep centers safe.
• list the components of center accreditation.
• discuss instruments used to measure the quality of child care.
child care centers
school-age child care programs
Skim the chapter
by reading the first
sentence of each
paragraph. Use this
information to create an
outline of the chapter
before you read it
Use a star diagram to
organize the different
types of child care.
universal prekindergarten (UPK)
licensing rules and regulations
child care license
quality rating systems (QRS)
for-profi t centers
nonprofi t centers